The federal government seeks to pursue greater savings and an accelerated approach to value-based care through an overhaul of its programs for Medicare accountable care organizations.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ new “Pathways to Success” program seeks to speed up the process of providers assuming risk for costs and outcomes through the following changes from the agency’s current approach.
- A reduction in how long participating ACOs can remain in the program without assuming some responsibility for their spending.
- Modifications that CMS hopes will encourage physician groups to remain independent of hospitals and health systems.
- Greater flexibility to innovate in exchange for participating in performance-based risk.
- Permission to offer new incentives to patients to take greater responsibility for their own health.
- Incorporation of regional spending differences when setting individual ACOs’ target spending and to foster greater alignment with Medicare Advantage programs.